Causes Back Pain? What’s Good?
One in five people is exposed to back pain during certain periods of their life. Back pain, which can occur in all age groups, can decrease the quality of life and can be a sign of important diseases. Early diagnosis of back pain is very important, as is the case with many disorders. Memorial Health Group Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Department experts gave information about back pain that can be seen for a simple reason such as muscle injury or a serious health problem such as heart disease.
What is Back Pain?
Back pain occurs when the muscles on both sides of the spine are stretched. Stress is the major cause of this tension that causes back pain. The neck spine, which normally resembles the letter ’C’ leş, is flattened, the outflow of the nerves leading to the shoulder and back is narrowed and the nerves are under pressure. As a result of this pressure, the back muscles are stretched and pain begins to form. The muscles stay tense for a long time causes muscle pellets called fibrositis. Fatigue, heavy lifting, exposure to air conditioning, such as triggering factors, such as back pain. In some people, a hunchback posture to reduce back pain may begin. Back pain can also be one of the symptoms of many diseases.
Causes of Back Pain
Myofascial pain syndrome is the most common type of back pain, especially among desk workers. Pain in the back due to muscles and soft tissues is one of the common complaints of people working at a desk for a long time. Most of the time, pain is triggered by pressing on the back muscles and posture disorder occurs.
Heart, lung and gall bladder diseases can also cause back pain. Particularly in the back, pain is felt from the shoulders to the end of the ribs. Neck hernia is also close to the back as a region can cause back pain. In addition, calcification in the neck and back spine is one of the causes of back pain. This pain may be a herald of neck hernia, especially if the arm is accompanied by loss of strength and numbness.
Fibromyalgia with soft tissue rheumatism is a disease characterized by symptoms of back pain. Fibromyalgia, which is very common especially in women, causes widespread body pain in people, especially in the back region. Fatigue, bloating, depression and stress, as well as back pain can be very intense. Fibromyalgia treatment is performed with a multidisciplinary approach.
Scoliosis, which means spine curvature, can cause intense back pain, especially in developmental patients. While the patient’s complaints increased in front of the computer, they were alleviated by rest. Since scoliosis is a serious condition that requires early diagnosis and treatment, back pain should be considered.
Osteoporosis, which is mostly seen in women, may cause back pain, fracture of the bones of the back and shortening of the height. Pain and tenderness concentrating on the back can be quite severe. In addition to medication, exercises to improve the back muscles are recommended to prevent hunchback from back pain.
Other diseases with back pain can be listed as follows;
- It can be seen in pain that arouses from sleep at night and rheumatic diseases and joint swelling.
- Back pain in the shoulder blade may be a symptom of a heart attack.
- Although the disease called ankylosing spondylitis is seen mostly in adolescence, it causes morning stiffness and back pain.
- Shingles, which mean inflammation of the nerve endings, may also manifest themselves with back pain.
- Symptoms of various diseases such as alkaptonuria, paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, spinal cord inflammation, acute axonal or demyelinating polyneuropathy may also be back pain.
Causes Continuous Back Pain?
Cases with continuous back pain should be taken seriously. It is very important to perform some tests in case of back pain and injury to the back which lasts more than 6 months. Imaging techniques such as blood analysis, ultrasonography, computed tomography, and MRI are used to find out the causes of back pain and which diseases are associated. Most back pains go away in a few days. Various pain relievers and muscle relaxants can be used for back pain. In order to catch back pain at an early stage, which may be caused by different diseases, it should be followed and necessary tests should be performed.
What Is Good For Back Pain?
The question of what is good for back pain is one of the most curious subjects. You can alleviate your back pain by experimenting with some good methods of back pain and changing your routine habits. In case of prolonged back pain, a specialist should be consulted.
- Reach your ideal weight and eat healthily.
- Strengthen your back muscles by regular exercise
- Take care to walk upright and sit down.
- Sleep in orthopedic mattresses that are consistent with your weight.
- Women at their breasts
- The heavier and sleeve bag should not be carried.
- Increase your vitamin D to normal levels under doctor supervision.
Good Exercises for Back Pain
Exercising for back pain both alleviates the pain and loosens and strengthens your back muscles, helping to prevent the occurrence of new pain. You can practice these back exercises after warm-up and relaxation;
- Stand on the door frame and stretch forward with your hands on the top of the door frame.
- While sitting on the chair, put your hands behind your head and sneak backward and look at the ceiling.
- Put your back against the wall and spread your arms so that your elbows and wrists touch the wall.
- Raise and lower your arms without interrupting contact with the wall.
- Bring your shoulder blades closer together for 5 seconds and loosen them.
- Lie down and get a pillow under your chest. Spread your arms, stitch your thumb up to the ceiling, and lift your arms up and down.
- Sit on the floor and stretch your feet. Hold your legs from the sides and tilt your head towards your belly. Then lift your arms up and down in this position.
- Stand on your hands and knees on the ground. Straighten your spine by contracting your abdominal muscles. Extend your left arm forward and your right foot back without loosening your abdomen.
- Then repeat the procedure with the right arm and left foot.
- Rowing exercises are available at the gym.
Back Pain Treatment
In the treatment of back pain, the priority is to determine the cause of the back pain. For this purpose, the diagnosis of back pain is made by physical examination, listening to complaints and MRI, CT, EMG, and direct radiography. Locally effective ointments and muscle relaxants may be used depending on the cause and severity of back pain.
In cases where drug treatment is not sufficient, alternative treatments such as physical therapy, neural therapy, acupuncture, soft laser, and massage should be applied. In addition to these treatments, stress factors should be eliminated. It is recommended to remove the factors that increase the stress level of the patient, to go on holiday and to spend time on hobbies. If stress management is difficult, the patient can also get help from a psychiatrist.
Exercise is very important at the end of treatment. Exercises to strengthen the back muscles and swimming is very useful. In addition, sun, sea, hot sand, spas are also supportive in the treatment of back pain.