How is Hallux Valgus treatment and surgery performed?
In the hallux valgus, the thumb is opened to the side of the 2nd finger on the 1st comb bone. Comb bone – a contraction of the soft tissues of the finger joint and elongation of the capsular structures are observed. With the development of bone protrusion in the thumb and deformity of the joint, the load-bearing function of the thumb decreases. Hallux Valgus Surgery
Causes of big toe protrusion (Hallux Valgus)
In hallux valgus deformity
- There is a family story. Most of our patients with hallux valgus also have this disease in their family members.\
- hile narrow high heel shoes play a role in the development of some patients, the disease can be seen in a group of patients in spite of comfortable shoes such as sports shoes.
- Hallux Valgus is more common in people with Achilles tendon shortness.
- The advanced pressing of the foot can cause Hallux Valgus and other finger deformities in the flat foot.
- We also see Hallux Valgus in cases where looseness in the joints is above normal movement.
Is Hallux Valgus treatment surgical? Is it possible to cure without surgery?
The first treatment option is not surgery. In therapy;
Comfortable soft shoes
- Fingertip reel
- Hallux valgus night splint
- Orthopedic insoles are recommended for patients with low foot arc.
When is surgery necessary for the treatment of the big toe protrusion?
Surgical treatment is used in patients whose pain persists despite all non-surgical treatment methods and in which foot pain affects their daily lives.
How is Hallux Valgus surgery performed?
Surgical Treatment of the big toe protrusion varies according to the degree of the disease and the region where the bone deformity is seen. The operations we frequently perform are those performed in the area of the comb bone close to the thumb. In some patients, operations are performed at the origin of the comb bone, in which we apply plaster for post-operative early pressing. In some patients, Hallux Valgus is accompanied by advanced joint degeneration. In this type of advanced patients, we also apply the process of freezing the joint in the scalp – thumb joint.
Does the big toe protrusion have a lot of pain after surgery?
Thanks to the ankle block anesthesia that we apply to our patients right before the operation, our patients spend the first 1 to 2 days without pain and comfortable after surgery.
How long do I stay in the hospital after the big toe protrusion surgery?
After the operation, the patient remains in the hospital for a maximum of 1 day.
How long can I walk after the big toe protrusion surgery?
t the 2nd – 3rd hour after the operation, patients can walk by pressing their heels or using special shoes.
Does deformity recur after big toe protrusion surgery?
Thanks to the appropriate operation selection and advanced surgical techniques, recurrence in hallux valgus deformity are almost never seen.
Is general anesthesia essential during the big toe protrusion surgery?
No, it is not necessary. Ankle block or spinal anesthesia is used. However, general anesthesia is also applied in cases recommended by our anesthesiologists.