Types of Headaches – Headache in Pregnancy
Pregnancy, the most special period in many women’s lives, can turn into a nightmare for some women because of headaches. Especially in the first 3 months of pregnancy, some precautions are needed to alleviate headaches that increase. Neurology Department experts, headache during pregnancy gave information about what to consider. types of headaches in pregnancy
Pregnancy worries can trigger headaches
Headaches, which are more common in women, may increase during pregnancy. The frequency of attacks during pregnancy increases in women with a migraine before pregnancy. In addition, headaches may be seen more frequently than normal in the first 3 months of pregnancy in women without previous migraine problems. One of the most common headaches in pregnancy is tension-type headaches. These pains are usually; stress, anxiety disorders, a number of disorders caused by hormonal changes, and fatigue caused by daily work in working pregnant women.
Especially the first 3 months should be avoided painkillers
The use of pain medications against headaches during pregnancy is generally not recommended. Paracetamol-style medications can be taken in some special cases or if necessary. However, painkillers should be avoided especially because of the drawbacks of the first 3 months. It is known that drug use during pregnancy is risky for fetal development. Other risks of using painkillers during pregnancy; may cause an increase in the duration and amount of bleeding during labor and trigger an increase in liver enzymes.
Migraine patients should take some precautions before pregnancy
Along with the increase in estrogen hormone during pregnancy, ups and downs in other hormones trigger some metabolic changes. Factors such as vasodilation and an increase in blood flow cause migraine pain to increase. It may be beneficial for migraine patients to take some precautions before getting pregnant so that they can spend their pregnancy more easily. Botox treatment for pain relief in pregnant women who have migraines in planned pregnancies gives positive results.
If the headache is accompanied by edema, beware!
Both gynecology and obstetrics and neurology doctors should pay attention to headaches during pregnancy; There should be headaches caused by a number of complications during pregnancy. One of the most important symptoms of pregnancy poisoning called Ek preeclampsia dır is headaches. If severe headache that does not respond to normal treatments is accompanied by sudden blood pressure increase, serious edema of the face, hands, and feet should be consulted without delay. In addition, the increase in pressure within the head can trigger small vessel occlusions and increase the risk of clotting. For this reason, neurologists should be consulted for pain that does not comply with tension or migraine headache characteristics. Imaging methods, such as MRI, are often not available for the accurate diagnosis of headaches during pregnancy. Patient history and close observation are of great importance in order to determine the cause of pain correctly.
To avoid headaches during pregnancy…
- Pregnant women should pay more attention to their sleep patterns than ever before. Sleeping at the same time and getting up at the same time will help prevent headaches.
- Healthy and balanced nutrition rules should be observed. Main and snacks should not be skipped. Snacks are very important because playing blood sugar triggers headaches.
- Daily water consumption should be 2-2.5 liters.
- Especially pregnant women should not stay at the computer for a long time. Taking short breaks and going outdoors in between will help alleviate the headaches that occur during work.
- Inactivity should be avoided. It should be remembered that sitting in the same position for a long time will trigger headaches.
- Regular walking and exercise should be done every day.
- The use of magnesium tablets can help alleviate headaches.
- The cold applications can be done for headaches that do not last long.
- It should be remembered that headaches will alleviate after the 3rd month of pregnancy and some patience should be shown.
types of headaches in pregnancy