Headache is a problem that can be seen in the majority of society and the majority of people face and seek remedy at different periods of their lives. headache diary
Migraine pain, which is more common between 25 and 55 years of age, is one of the most common problems affecting the quality of life. Research shows that an average of 5 days per year in Turkey, the loss of labor associated with migraine.
Migraine is a recurrent headache that lasts for 4-72 hours. Headache is typically unilateral. It has a throbbing property and is of medium-heavy intensity. Pain can increase with routine physical activity, such as walking, climbing stairs. Nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light or sound may accompany the headache.
Who has a migraine more often?
Migraine is most commonly seen between 25-55 years of age. It is more common in women than in men; it affects 18% of women and 6% of men throughout their lives. . headache diary
How does migraine affect a person’s life?
Migraine pain can interfere with the normal activities of the person and may impair the quality of life of both the person suffering from migraines and their relatives. Symptoms of some patients suffering from migraine pain may be severe enough to disrupt their daily life. It can prevent a person from going to work and doing their daily work. However, there are many drugs that are used for migraine treatment.
There are many factors that trigger a migraine, which may vary from person to person. The main factors that may cause the onset of migraine are;
1) Stress: Emotional events play an important role in the onset of a migraine.
2) Hormonal Changes: Most women with migraine attacks are more frequent in the menstrual period and their severity increases. In some women, migraine attacks occur only during menstruation.
3) Nutrition and Certain Drugs: Various foods (old cheese, snack, chocolate, smoked or pickled fish / meat), beverages (such as red wine), foods containing various additives (sodium nitrite; sausage, salami, processed meats. Monosodium) glutamate, Chinese food and many restaurant dishes, aspartame, gums, diet drinks, tyramine, old cheese, broad beans, pickled or processed foods), various medications (such as birth control pills) can trigger pain.
4) Sleep: Excess sleep and insomnia can initiate a migraine crisis.
5) Climate Changes: Some migraine patients may be affected by climate and weather changes.
6) Smells etc.: Some heavy smells can provoke migraine, these situations should be avoided.
Characteristics that distinguish migraine attacks from other headaches
1) It takes 4-72 hours when untreated or inadequate treatment is applied,
2) Usually, unilateral pain is felt,
3) Pain throbbing,
4) Pain may increase with movement,
5) Pain is accompanied by nausea and / or vomiting,
6) Sensitivity to light and sound occurs.
. headache diary
What is Aura?
Some people have an aura that develops gradually in 5-20 minutes before migraine pain and lasts less than 60 minutes. Aura may include visual changes such as bright light flashes, flickering, colored zigzag lines, blind spots, loss of vision on one side. The aura may also include tingling or numbness in the arms or legs or dizziness. You should see your doctor make sure that your symptoms are caused by migraine, not another physical problem. After reviewing your symptoms and examining you, your doctor will tell you that you have a migraine or ask for further tests to rule out other possibilities.
Nowadays, more information is known about migraines through ongoing research and there are more options to prevent or treat migraines.
For patients with rare exacerbations, treatment for the current pain is preferred, whereas, for migraine patients with frequent exacerbations (attacks of 4 or more per month), preventive drug therapy is often preferred. The frequency and severity of attacks can be significantly reduced when treatment is administered as prescribed by the physician. In addition, non-drug treatment of migraine is used as a support for drug treatment. The diagnosis of migraine is made by a neurologist. It should be noted that there are many causes of headaches and some of them may be dangerous.
It should be noted that migraine is a disease that is treated.
Advice for migraine patients
It is important to know which factors trigger your migraine. You can think about what you eat and drink during the attack. It may be appropriate to keep a headache diary.
In this journal, write your latest activities, diet, stress, and medications in the “possible triggers” section. They will help you to understand what causes migraines. So you can see what you need to stay away from, and you can show this diary to your doctor.
Mini Test – Can Your Headache Be Migraine?
> Does your headache limit your ability to work or enjoy life?
> Would you like to talk to a specialist about your headaches?
If yes to at least one of these questions, answer the test below.
During the last three months, have you experienced the following during your headaches?
1. Did you feel nausea or discomfort in your stomach?
2. Did the light disturb you?
3. Have your headaches limited your ability to work or do what you want for at least one day?
If at least 2 out of 3 answers are yes, migraine may be the cause of your headaches.